Contact the Grammar Anarchist with your questions about grammar and language at grammaranarchist@gmail.com
Get a personal reply at
Val@valdumond.com


Monday, October 31, 2011

The Almighty Comma

How much mischief can be caused by that little arc-with-a-tail? Where does the comma belong in the next few sentences (yes, you have choices)?
  • I’m sorry it’s not loaded Rebecca.
  • Don’t be too sure she didn’t know about that Susan.
  • He wants to be a hit man.
  • While I froze my wife in the next room called, “Who’s at the door dear?”
  • Just as she was about to leave her husband walked in with theater tickets.
See what I mean?

2 comments:

Laura G. said...

This looks like some of the things my students write. Gives me a smile when I do my homework!

The Grammar Anarchist said...

Makes my editing life more fun too, Laura.