Contact the Grammar Anarchist with your questions about grammar and language at grammaranarchist@gmail.com
Get a personal reply at
Val@valdumond.com


Wednesday, January 18, 2012

I Hate To Harp (Actually, I Love It), BUT...

Listen closely; I may not repeat this message.

I’ve screamed, I’ve hollered, I’ve cried, I’ve whispered, and I’ve cursed. Still, I receive questions about using an apostrophe to make a noun plural. No, No, a thousand times NO! A bunch of apples has no apostrophe! Only the apple’s core or the apple’s peeling or the apple’s blossom rates the apostrophe.

An apostrophe indicates two things: 1) in the cases of the core, peeling, and blossom (above), it shows possession. 2) The other use is to indicate something left out, f’r cryin’ out loud! Don’t you see that?

IS NO ONE LISTENING?

No comments: