Contact the Grammar Anarchist with your questions about grammar and language at grammaranarchist@gmail.com
Get a personal reply at
Val@valdumond.com


Saturday, September 8, 2012

Opal Pickles, my new old friend

Few comic page characters do more for grammar than Opal Pickles, the AARPer who harasses her husband with her grammar annoyances. This week she was ranting about people who write “web sight” insead of “website”. At first glance, I thought she referred to using two words rather than one; then I checked the spelling. Me too, Opal. Hate it!

Her other annoyances included the misuse of the verbs “lay” and “lie”, and folks who write “low and behold” instead of “lo and behold”. I admit, I hadn’t thought much about that last one until dear Opal called it to my attention.

Did I mention that Opal’s words come from Brian Crane? Great artist with reverence for the language.

No comments: