Contact the Grammar Anarchist with your questions about grammar and language at grammaranarchist@gmail.com
Get a personal reply at
Val@valdumond.com


Saturday, July 2, 2011

What? Oxford Changes the “Rules”?


Excuse me while I gloat! Did I not tell you to ignore those grammar “rules” that others foist on you? Did I not tell you to eschew printed style manuals and create your own? Just look what has happened. Illustrious Oxford University has changed its tune about the English language…again, this time disagreeing with the esteemed Associated Press and the Queen’s English Society! “Use a comma before the “and” in a series of three or more,” says Oxford when it previously “ruled” to omit it. 

“No! No! No! You don't need that comma,” say the Chicago Style Manual and the U.S. Government Printing Office. Imagine! No consensus among British grammarians! Didn’t I tell you this is why we fought the Revolutionary War? Write your own damn style manual, I say.

No comments: